Discovery Auction: Don't Miss the Biggest Fundraiser of the Year - Buy Your Tickets!
Join us Saturday, February 29, for our Discovery Auction, to raise funds for our Discovery Elementary community.
This year’s theme is Bootleggers Ball with live and silent auctions, heavy apps, dancing, and gaming tables along with a high-end scotch & whiskey bar (not included in ticket price – it’s the good stuff).
Auction items include vacation packages and house rentals (a boho beach retreat, anyone?) experiences with teachers for your kids (flag football with Mr. Duffy), as well as gift cards for a night at the Kennedy Center and Inn at Little Washington. You could also bid on a night at the Ritz Carlton, Georgetown and vacation packages to golf in Monterey, Broadway shows, dinner for 12 at the James Beard House in NYC, Fairmont Bermuda, and tickets to the men’s/women’s US Open Finals.
It is not too late to donate – businesses or family/personal donations are super easy. See this link and a big thanks to everyone who has donated so far!
Lastly, we’re getting questions about attire. We hear some people are wearing a fun speakeasy-type costume, while others may give a slight shout-out to the theme (a little fringe, maybe?), while others are just looking forward to a night without kids and are coming as their fabulous selves. That all sounds good to us! We just want you to come and support our school.
Date: Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 7:00 PM
Location: Discovery Speakeasy at the Knights of Columbus, 5115 Little Falls Road
To buy your tickets:https://discoverypta.ejoinme.org/tickets2020
To donate to the auction: https://discoverypta.ejoinme.org/family2020
Ticket price: $65 per person
Share the Love This Sunday, February 23rd
Our Third Annual Share the Love Event will be held this Sunday, February 23rd from 1-3pm in the Dining Commons. This is a great opportunity to have the kids work on something that directly affects kids (and kittys!) in our area. Come with the family to do some good and spread some joy.
This year our service projects include:
- putting Birthday and Celebration boxes together and making cards for kids in shelters at Doorways& Bridges to Independence,
- making toys & blankets for kittens at the Animal Welfare League of Arlington.
- setting up New Baby kits for new moms for the DC Diaper Bank. BONUS act of kindness: bring a box of diapers or a tube of diaper rash cream with you to donate!
- PLUS we'll be sharing the love with our own school by helping pick up litter around Discovery AND cleaning out the Lost & Found
Please help us make this event a success by volunteering an hour of your time to help supervise one of our four project stations. Sign up here!
Reminder: Claim Your Lost and Found by Feb 23
The Discovery Lost and Found collection (currently located outside the library near the yellow slide) will be donated to Clothesline
for people in need on February 23rd
during our Share the Love event. Stop by and claim your child's lost belongings before that date!
Kindness Month is underway at Discovery!
Throughout the month, students are encouraged to complete kindness challenges listed on our Kindness Calendar. Classmates work together with their teachers to complete as many kindness challenges as they can. The number of kind acts Discovery Explorers complete are reflected on a school-wide display. Students and staff are also encouraged to participate in Kindness Spirit Week the last week of February.
Sign Up To Be Part of World Heritage Night!
Discovery's Annual World Heritage Night is Thursday, March 12th from 6:30 - 8 pm. There will be spaces for families to display their familial culture, provide food for all to taste, a performance stage, and, new this year, an exciting fashion show! We will need you to help pull this off once again!
Sign up to volunteer here.
Sign up for a performance slot here.
Sign up for a display space here.
Sign up to bring a dish here.
Discovery in the News
Discovery and the Eco Action Club Featured in the Washington Post
We are excited to share that Discovery has been featured in the Washington Post - Kids Post, highlighting our sustainability efforts at our school and our Eco Action club. Some of our Eco Action members were interviewed a few months ago for the article. Please read and share the article with your students!
Discovery was also recently featured in this U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) video on LEED spaces.
Author & Illustrator Lulu Delacre will visit Discovery on March 25
- Three-time Pura Belpré Award honoree Lulu Delacre has been writing and illustrating children's books since 1980. The New York Times Bestselling artist was born and raised in Puerto Rico to Argentinean parents.
- Delacre says her Latino heritage and her life experiences inform her work. Her 40 titles include Arroz con Leche: Popular Songs and Rhymes from Latin America, a Horn Book Fanfare Book in print for 30 years. Her bilingual picture book ¡Olinguito, de la A a la Z! Descubriendo el bosque nublado; Olinguito, from A to Z! Unveiling the Cloud Forest and her story collection Us, in Progress: Short Stories About Young Latinos have received multiple starred reviews and awards.
- Among her latest works are the art of Turning Pages by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor and Rafi and Rosi Music!. Delacre has lectured internationally and served as a juror for the National Book Awards.
Book Order forms for Lulu Delacre - Due Tues. March 3
You can find order forms in peachjar, learning logs, the library webpage and here.
You can also find more information about Lulu at www.Luludelacre.com.
Your support of the PTA helps make Discovery better every day!
Just last week, the PTA provided 10 new umbrellas to our student patrols. And, this week, we gave the nurses a new book nook - see below for before and after photos:
2019-2020 Friendship 5K - March 28, 2020
This year the Discovery/Nottingham Friendship 5K will take place on Saturday, March 28th at 8:00 am at Nottingham Elementary School. As in the past, this race promises to be a fun and healthy way to spend the morning in our community.
This is an exciting year for the Friendship 5K as our 5th year anniversary race. We began this partnership to help support Discovery as it opened and established roots in our community. With the school firmly rooted and the race tradition solidified, we are now searching for additional community purpose which will help shape the future. We will be soliciting feedback over the next few months.
In the meantime the PTA’s are excited for a great family fun run/walk to kick off spring in our community. For more information and to register, please visit the PTA website.